Friday, November 26, 2010

Thankful


What I am thankful for this Thanksgiving:

  • I am thankful for my wonderful wife and two children who got out of bed on Thanksgiving morning when it was 8 degrees outside and ran the Fort Collins Thanksgiving 4-mile race.
  • I am thankful for my health that has allowed me to keep running through the onset of type 1 diabetes over 10 years ago and not only run but accomplish new goals that I thought impossible at the diagnosis of the condition.
  • I am thankful for running and the joy that it brings to my life and the opportunities it provides for fun adventures and traditions like running a race on Thanksgiving morning. This was our 5th consecutive Fort Collins Thanksgiving race and I have run a race on Thanksgiving morning 18 out of the last 20 years.
  • I am thankful for my friends and the great running community that I live in. I am thankful for all the friends that I saw at the race and those who stopped by or stayed for dinner yesterday and that even though much of my family is far away I can still sit at a holiday table surrounded by good people with common interests and enjoy a good meal.
  • I am thankful for where I live. It is deeply comforting to know that after I finish this post, I can lace up my shoes, head out my front door and within a 5 minute jog down the street I will be running beautiful trails and breathing cold, clean mountain air.
  • I am thankful for the challenges ahead. My goals to run a sub 19 minute 5K, a sub three hour marathon, and a mountain 100-miler in 2011 keep me motivated and help me to keep getting back out on the trails to see what I can do.

Happy Running and Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. I'm thankful every time I get to lace up my trail shoes. We are lucky. Nice race yesterday. Right on your 26 min goal. Hope you are out enjoying the trails right now. I would have joined you guys but I needed an earlier start/finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, you're right about the great community in Fort Collins (which you help build/support by hosting all kinds of fun events!) and it's cool how you're re-defining what's possible with Type 1 diabetes (basically, anything, as you've shown)

    Sorry about the WS lottery, so what's the plan? I've been thinking about Pbville as a mountain alternative, what do you think? I haven't ruled out Black Hills, maybe the 50, but I'd like a HR qualifier and something later in the summer.

    More importantly, which Chubby Cheeks route are you thinking about running? Hoping/planning to make it up there!

    ReplyDelete