Monday, November 15, 2010

Snow, Arthur's Rock and Western States

We had our first snow in Fort Collins this week and with highs in the 40s the past few days, it feels like winter is here. I ran home from school on Wednesday night and ran back to school on Thursday morning in the snow. This was the first time I've done the run commute this school year, and my plan is to keep it up as part of my weekly schedule. Tuesday, Ean and I did some repeat 1000 m on the dirt path around the park. My plan was to run 5 x 1000 at 4:00 min each with a 3 minute recovery jog between each 1000. My times for the 1000s were: 3:52, 3:50, 3:50, 3:51, 3:54. This adds up to a 19:17 5K and it felt pretty good. I was tired on the last repeat, but overall the workout was pretty comfortable. This gives me some hope that my 2011 marathon goal of a sub 3:00 is not too far out of reach.
I put my name (and my $370 - yikes!) in for the Western States lottery. Chances are less than 20% of getting in and there are plenty of other good races to run in June if I don't make it, but I'm hoping it happens. The lottery is held on December 4. We'll see what happens.
Ean and I went for a great run in Horsetooth and Lory today. We ran from Soderberg, along the valley and up Mill Creek and Howard to the top of Arthur's Rock. We had the whole park mostly to ourselves and the north facing slope on Howard through the trees was a winter wonderland. We went down the Timber Trail and back along the valley to the car. I ran a very comfortable 18 miles doing a few out and backs to reconnect with Ean who ran 15 miles for her longest trail run ever.
We had an interesting encounter with a one antlered buck as we got back to the trail head. We were out for longer than we had planned - 5 hours, but it was a nice way to spend a Sunday together.





No comments:

Post a Comment