Wednesday, November 9, 2011

6 x 800

So I got out on the track after school today with some hope and a little dread about the workout I had planned.  Six 2-lappers is really not a big deal, but running them on the track alone, in the cold, at the end of a long day is a heavy task.  I jogged a few laps hopping to feel better about it as I warmed up, then ran back in to the building to visit the bathroom, then ran back to the track, did a couple strides and decided I better just do this.  The Blevins track is pretty lonely in the late afternoon in November.  The sun had gone down and the park and fields were pretty empty.  One of my students was on the football filed when I started and he did shout out an encouraging "go Mr. May" as I came around the curve on my first repeat.  After he left, it was just me and the track.  My goal was to run all six repeats at my goal pace for the Turkey Day 4 mile (6:15) so that would be 3:07.5 per 800.  I figured I'd shoot for 3:05 just to be safe.  The first 800 was 3:01 and was a little rough, so I decided to ease up some on the next one.  I jogged a lap recovery and started number 2.  3:04 and it felt much better.  Jog a lap then number 3: 3:02.  Felt pretty good and the workout is half done.  I started to think that I could make it through this.  Number 4: 3:02.  Alright, only two to go and these are feeling better than I'd hoped and I'm running faster than I'd planned.  I started number 5 (thinking "only one more after this") and I was starting to feel the pain coming around the second curve of lap one.  I held on and finished in 3:01.  I jogged my recovery lap feeling very good about the workout and realizing that I probably should have set out to run 8 repeats instead of 6 but it was too late for that now.  I decided to push it a bit on this last 800 and try to go sub 3.  Go!  I hit the 200 in :44 then the 400 in 1:29.  I was on pace for 2:58 if I could hold on for one last lap.  I pushed it through the final 200 m and hit my watch at the line: 2:55.  That last one hurt, but I did it and I was done.  I put my jacket back on, jogged a few more laps and then ran back to my classroom to gather my stuff, hop on my bike and ride home.  A good workout on the track.  Next week: mile repeats.

5 comments:

  1. Way to HTFU and get the workout done! Nice splits, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Solo winter track workouts really suck. Are you going to stick with the Tuesday afternoon schedule? Sarah and I usually meet in the morning but if I can finish up at Blevins and still get over to the 6pm social run, I might be able to join you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the push, Alex. I got a few in last night too. Not quite Alex-fast though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks E, P and B.

    I have a meeting Tuesday afternoon, so my plan is to go to the Blevins track Tuesday morning- 6:00am to run 4 x 1mile. I would love company if anyone wants to join me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to say: How cool is it for a student to see a teacher out there running? Very cool!

    ReplyDelete